Why does having a very diverse group make your program so much more effective?
This is something that is seldom found in our normal lives.
These lessons can be some of the most important that we can learn.
What are the benefits of having as much diversity in your coaching group as possible?
What do we mean by diversity? In this case it is youth of different ages, backgrounds, cultures, belief systems, and gender.
The more diverse the group, the bigger the lessons that can be learned.
WHAT ARE THE LESSONS?
- They will learn to work with those of different ages. We all should learn to respect those who are younger and older than us.
- They will learn to work with those of different cultures. Although we may come from different cultural backgrounds we will discover we have many similarities.
- They will learn to work with different backgrounds. Once again we can find that we may live in the same region, but those who have had an upbringing or environment which is different, we learn how to relate and work with everyone.
- They will learn to work with people with different beliefs and religions. Exposure to working with people of different beliefs will enable them to realize they are approachable and respect each other.
- They will learn to work with those of the opposite gender. They will learn to respect each other and not be typical stereotypes.
WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?
- There are so few options for youth to work together.
- In school and in sports they are separated by age and gender, etc.
- It teaches every the valuable lesson of realizing that, as much as we are different, there is a great deal that we all have in common.
In fact these may be some of the most important lessons we can all learn.
It can help them when they become adults to realize as much as we are different, there is a great amount that we all have in common.
These skills are important to all of us at any age.
If you have any comments or questions, please enter your comments below.
Wishing you lots of love and laughter.
Victoria, BC, Canada